Friday, July 8, 2011

Why I Love White.........


There are so many reasons but I think when you love color as much as I do you can see how much it pops when placed with white.  This bedroom is the perfect example.  The reds and pinks are so vibrant mixed with the white walls, sheets and trim.  Even the red striped rug makes a statement on the white painted floor.  And where in the world did they find those vintage white sconces.  I want them!

Ok now this is the perfect example of color popping.  First of all I have to have that little abstract painting.  And the orange, corals and yellows all against the white white is so fun.  What a playful little vignette.   


I love a white house because all the outside foliage looks so nice against the white.  You can get the idea here with Lily's white dress.  The greenery looks so crisp and lush next to white.  There is really nothing more classic than a white house. 

I really did not go on safari this week.  I know it looks like I killed a polar bear but that is actually the white cow hide rug in my office.  I did loose the red toes from last week and go white.  This weeks polish is called "Fit for a Queensland".  Whatever that means.......but while I was on my flight to NYC with my son I saw this cute girl wearing these cool gladiator sandals.  I asked here who made them, I thought she would say "Coach" or something, and it turns out the are "Madden Girl" by Steve Madden.  I tracked them down on line and they were so inexpensive.  This line is probably geared for teenagers but they have some really great inexpensive shoes.  Regardless, Joe says I look tough when I wear them.  I wore them with a really feminine dress yesterday and it really did toughen up my look! Comfy too. 

I realize that it takes a lot of time and energy (oh and money) to make a bookshelf look like this.  But isn't it worth it!!!!  Here is another example of how good color can look with white.  Arranging these books by color on this white lacquered bookshelf gives order and creates a design.  It is almost like a piece of art, kind of like color blocking in a painting.  Now go out and by some books!  Not to read of course,  just simply to look at.  And make sure you find some in your favorite color. 

The Moroccan poof is great in every color.  Lily's white poof goes great in her colorful room.  Jay has an orange one in his room and we have a cream one in the living room.  Black is next! Time to redo the house....Ha

Everyone has seen Suzanne Kasler's house.  She always starts with white walls and goes from there.  I love this space because of the white everything, brought out with subtle pops of color.  I especially like the white curtains and the white painting above the mantle.  So soft  but still strong.  Don't you just love her style. 

Here we go again.  These two pictures are from a Southern Accents show house that Suzanne Kastler did.  We used to call this issue at my old office our bible for design.  The way the turquoise pops is so crisp.  I would never get tired of this kitchen.  It will always be one of my in my designer hall of fame. That Ann Sacks blue glass backsplash is like water and if you didn't already know, my favorite stone selection is and will always be, white marble.  This white Calcutta Gold is perfection! 

This is our summer snack.  Popcorn with Brewer's Yeast and Bragg - Liquid Aminos.  It is so delicious and really good for you.  No salt or butter and the best flavor.  I had it for the first time at a bar in Telluride CO and could  not stop eating it.  My friend Meghan told me what they used to make it taste so good and now my whole family is hooked.



"White...is not a mere absence of colour; it is a shining and affirmative thing, as fierce as red, as definite as black...God paints in many colours; but He never paints so gorgeously, I had almost said so gaudily, as when He paints in white." --G. K. Chesterton



No comments:

Post a Comment